Monday, January 27, 2014

The Man Who Walked Between The Towers


The Man Who Walked Between The Towers 

by Mordicai Gerstein 

I have to be honest at first glance of this book, I was not excited to read it.  I usually am drawn to bright illustrations and this cover looked a little dark to me.  I was very pleased that it was an assigned reading to help me broaden my interest and to remind myself to literally not judge a book by it's cover.  

The Man Who Walked Between The Towers is a biography about an aerialists, Philippe Petit and his tightrope walk between New York City's Twin Towers.  Gerstein does a wonderful job of leading the reader step by step through Petit's journey.  I felt as though I were right there along side Petit as he was planning and completing his journey.  I personally find reading books about actual events interesting, especially when set to picture! This book leads itself to evoking interest about Petit's life to young adventurous children.  I imagine a child reading this book and being fascinated about his life and maybe even doing more research or an in depth study about him.  

Even though I myself was not drawn to the illustrations in this book, I do think they also did a great job of making the reader feel as though you are apart of the actual event.  Each picture draws you into the book and makes you see what it would be like if you were right there with Petit.  I can imagine the awe and terrifying feeling of looking at Petit way up high in the air as he glides along the wire effortlessly and although the illustrations are not as colorful as I normally like they are very beautifully drawn.

"Now the towers are gone," is a very powerful line in the story.  It reminds us about September 11th and I am so glad that this book was written to not only capture the daring Petit's journey in the air but also to remember that the Twin Tower's were there.  This will be something to always read to children as not only a great story but also as a way to remember what happened that day.  Some may be fearful of the conversations that children will have discussing why the Towers are no longer there but I believe that it is and will always be a large part of our history.  

No comments:

Post a Comment